Translate

Monday, January 9, 2023

Abigail Lanza, Student Work

Swing
Wood, Coconut Husk, Metallic paint 
2.5" diameter

 
This piece is based on a memory of my grandfather and I sharing coconut for the first time. We were outside on our outdoor swing. I was so small sitting next to him, he leaned over with his pocket knife and asked if I wanted to try coconut meat. Me, being five years old at the time, thought he was insane coconuts aren't supposed to have meat, a coconut is a fruit! He laughed so hard at my expression and after some convincing he chucked off a piece of meat and I chewed on the coconut as we continued to swing. It seems like this memory could go on forever and I'd like to think this memory will always be how I see myself and my grandfather. The taller piece of coconut husk represents my grandfather and the smaller piece represents me, utilizing size to show the significance I felt as a small child. The wood sphere derives from the shape of a coconut and the metallic paint represents my grandfather's pocket knife. 



In-Process Photos











 

No comments:

Post a Comment