Translate

Monday, December 12, 2016

Student Examples for On Longing Assignment


"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy." 
- from the book On Longing by Susan Stewart

Student's explanation for selecting a personal image as a response to the statement from On Longing:
One of my friends worked for the museum of natural history and one day he got permission to bring me back to the private collection of minerals, rocks and gems that are just for academic purpose and wouldn't ever make it out on display. Some of the items were so absolutely gorgeous and I wished I could have taken home even a small souvenir of these amazing formations.




"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale." 
- from the book On Longing by Susan Stewart

I chose this image to fit this quote because I have never felt as small as I did when I spent time in the canyons of Southern Utah. The scale of the canyon, vast amount of stars at night and the long straight roads all gave this feeling of being so small.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment