Translate

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Michelle Henning, Student Work, Memento





Artist Statement:
For this piece I drew upon a memory of hugging my cat, Hunter. When I was young I used to lay on the floor with Hunter, snuggled up on a rug. I was really small for my age and Hunter's splayed out cat body was about the same size of me. I wanted to communicate a feeling of comfort. Hunter's soft, plush fur dominates my memory; he was essentially a warm, fluffy, living body pillow. 

Materials:
Cat fur and thread
Approx. 2" x 1" x 3/4"



First I had to harvest cat fur from my boy Hunter. 
He really enjoyed this part of the project. 



I then took the collected fur and rubbed it between my hands repeatedly. 
My goal was to make a felted sheet of "fabric". 



I washed the matted fur sheet with shampoo. 



Sewing with needle and thread. 




Stuffing with extra cat fur. 

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment