Translate

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Student Responses to ON LONGING Reading



Marcus Chan

"Nostalgia can not be sustained without loss."

The image on the left is a picture of my sister and I when we were three. The image on the right is a picture, same location, of my sister and I when we were seventeen. I never knew how much I missed my sister until she moved into college.











Ana Garcia

"THE SOUVENIR REDUCES THE PUBLIC, THE MONUMENTAL, AND THE THREE-DIMENSIONAL INTO THE MINIATURE, THAT WHICH CAN BE ENVELOPED BY THE BODY."


When I used to smoke box cigarettes, American Spirits was my brand of choice. A few months or maybe years into me smoking the brand, they started coming out with these little slips that had an interesting photograph on one side and some sort of information or statistic about their brand. i absolutely loved them. To this day, I keep them in my visor and they've outlived my previous car. It's not so much that they represent smoking for me, although they do, but it was a lovely extra.





Madison Williams

"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."

This picture is of me and my best friend, Danielle, standing in front of the Fremont Troll in Seattle, Washington. I chose this image to represent this particular quote because without us standing in front of the sculpture, it would be difficult to determine exactly how large it is. While the surrounding bridge may direct one to some sense of scale, the presence of a human body in front of the structure allows one to be certain this is a piece of grand stature.






Mason Mushinski


"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."

When looking for a picture that related most to this quote, this one took the cake. I took this picture on Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh, which is a large mountain that overlooks the entire city. By holding a clear crystal ball I was not only able to flip the entire city upside down but I was also able to hold the entire city in my hand. The body is a primary mode of perceiving scale because on top of the mountain the city looks rather tiny whereas when in the heart of the city you feel as though you're the smallest in sight.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment