Translate

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Mason Mushinski, Student Work



Heightened Senses is a mock company that sells pocket plushes to help babies sleep. Building off the meaning of my Memento project, this product is made for babies to rub their thumbs over a soft, silk area of fabric. The object is supposed to give babies a sense of security and relaxation in order to fall asleep while building on their sense of touch.

"Touch is the first sense to develop in the womb and is probably the most advanced at birth, says Dr. Yogman. Babies thrive on lots of physical contact, which makes them feel cozy and loved. "More than any other sense, touch ensures bonding between a parent and baby," says Laura Jana, MD, coauthor of Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality."

Source: Carol Sjostrom Miller, Photos Jim Franco. "The World According to Babies." Parents. Parents, 11 June 2015. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.






Memento Project







Memento is centered around a particular memory of my childhood. When I was born, my great grandfather gave me a yellow plush rabbit. The rabbit is made of pale yellow cloth and has silk ears. At about five-years-old I accidentally tore a hole on the rabbit and my mom sewed the hole back together with bright blue thread. The touch I associate with the memory is the rubbing of the silk ears. I was told that as a baby I would rub my thumb on the silk ears in order to fall asleep. 

The memento is constructed of three materials: cloth, silk, and thread. I used the blue thread to sew the yellow cloth together and measured out my own personal thumbprint for the silk. My thumbprint sits atop the piece so that when it is held the thumb naturally sits on the silk. The silk tag was also added in order to show the commercializations of the product which was originally branded with the  "Fisher Price" logo. 



No comments:

Post a Comment