Translate

Friday, March 15, 2019

Peter Lanyon, British, 1918 - 1964



White Track
Hardwood, plywood, steel, string
1939

 I've broken’ with the rectangle and there's no restricting frame. I wanted to find out how to reproduce the weight of things. The object was to reduce the heaviness of the wood in the centre by the use of dynamic elements. A white dish shape is held by a sling on the diagonal, and a red cylindrical form travels round a white track. These two elements make the whole construction light and dynamic instead of heavy and static. You could say that just as the “Box Construction” is about space, this one is about movement in painting. They probably show two basic types of my own pictures. Some start with a quiet frontal plane, and others are altogether more agitated and moving. I have gone on making constructions, but of a rather different kind. But these early exercises taught me something, and enabled me to go back to the landscape.

Source link:

No comments:

Post a Comment