Translate

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Kate Barker, Student Work






This memento was made to symbolize a memory of my uncle, who has passed away. When I was younger he would often try to teach me how to crochet but I always found a way out of actually learning. When he passed away I instantly regretted never learning and decided to teach myself from what I remember him saying. The memento was made using thick wool yarn to make the outer casing that is incredibly soft to the touch and in away comforting to hold. The casing is filled with sand to add a substantial weight to the piece in order to convey the figurative weight felt  by me and my family members having to cope with this loss. Holding the piece and the process of making it felt like closure to me knowing that although he is no longer here to teach me and be in my life I will always have the fond memories and the comfort they continue to bring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment