Translate

Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Few Of My Favorite Things


This assignment comes directly from a National Public Radio Photo Assignment.  
Link here for the source.

Guidelines:
  • Gather a few of your favorite things.  No less than five (5) and no more than eight (8).  
  • Arrange items and photograph.  
  • Make sure the only items in the photograph are the items you selected. This means you must carefully select a location to photograph items. For example, do not place items on a cluttered counter top. 
  • Consider the composition and crop tight around the items. 
  • All items have to be in one photograph.  Do not produce multiple photographs.  Only one photograph with 5 - 8 items. 
  • List all the items with a brief explanation. 
  • Post the one photo and explanations on your blog.

Student Examples:
  • Search right column "A Few of My Favorite Things Student Work". Note - if viewing the blog on your phone and right column of categories does not appear, scroll to bottom of screen and click "web version". 
  • Or go to link below


The example below from the NPR website:


Beth Nakamura


1) A bar of Fels-Naptha soap. Because it was my mother's favorite. She died of cancer when I was 30. Usually it's little stuff that brings her back.
2) An anonymous booking photograph. Because behind every person is something sparkly and magnificent, a story waiting to be told. I work in journalism and see it firsthand, over and over.
3) A roll of twine. Because life is, for the most part, maddeningly messy, I vacillate between wanting to stuff it all into pretty little boxes and realizing it's just not possible.
4) A cigarette. Because sometimes I sneak them. My dirty, shameful little secret. Exposed.
5) A number sign. Although this "No." means number, for me it will always mean: No. Period. Because my life is marked by moments that stand in defiance of that word.
6) An old snapshot holder. It's empty. Which means it's full of possibility. Because as a photojournalist, it's not about the pictures you've taken, but the ones you've yet to make.
7) Home Sweet Home, cross-stitched and framed. I made it when I longed for such things. Like most deep longing, it stays hidden from sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment