Translate

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Ana Garcia, Student Work









































"PENNY, FIONA & BARBARA"



Play is such a valuable aspect of my work—making art is about having fun. If there is no fun to be had, then I'm not with it. If I'm honest, I'll admit that these three sculptures got away from me. They expanded, in every sense of the word, and became these obnoxiously and beautifully large and unrecognizable structures. They remind me of me; they remind me of growth; they remind me of the unknown. They were not meant to be what they are and yet they are unapologetically there.

I chose to portray focal point, scale, and repetition for my sculptures. The titles of the sculptures reflect a symbolic representation of women that embody the visual aesthetic of each. Penny is a Pendulum, with wide hips and a beautiful golden afro. Fiona is strong as wood and a pattern lover with flowing, straight hair. Barbara is pale as paper, with sweet curls that frame her face. They stand together, a sisterhood of mixed materials, all lovely in their nuances. 

Dimensions:
Pendulum: 15 in L (including space within the pendulum / 3.5 in W / 17in H (at highest point)
Wooden Structure: 9.5 in L (12 including tape ends) / 6 in W / 11 in H
White paper top: 5 in L / 3.5 in W / 15 in H base (21 inches to top of paper) 
Materials: 
Balsa Wood, Wood Glue, Paper, Pins, Hot glue





No comments:

Post a Comment