Translate

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Sarah Sommer, Student Work





Artist Statement:
I don’t travel much, but when I do, I go with my family. I have family that lives in upstate New York. When we take a trip to New York we normally go when it is warm and spend time at our family’s Lake house. The cabin has a beautiful view that looks out on the lake. I enjoy spending time at the cabin because it is a relaxing get away from everyday life. My family and I spend a lot of time swimming, floating, kayaking, and fishing in the lake. 

I have memories of taking naps in the cabin. After swimming all day, I would come inside with a sunburn and take a nap. The cabin can get be chilly so there are stock plies of quilts to keep us warm. I remember the comfort I felt when wrapped up in the quilts and falling asleep. 

The piece I made is soft, yet sturdy and fits comfortable in one hand. The composition involves materials that are nestled together to convey a sense of comfort and closeness. 

Wood: Represents the cabin.
Stained wood: Represents sunburn/tan.
Fabric: Represents all the quilts within the cabin.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment