Translate

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Kim Simonsson


I made my first sculpture out of snow in the backyard of my childhood home! I realized then that I can capture the sensitivity of movement through my hands. Ever since I have thought of myself as a sculptor who makes figures by hand. Finding the perfect movement has become the essence in my works.
I combine traditional ceramic art with popular cultural phenomenon in large ceramic sculptures. For me the unusual is interesting. Therefore I create my own strange world of characters that comment on everyday life and its weirdness.
The subject matters are usually children, animals or hybrids. One important detail in my sculptures is the eyes are made out of glass; they give the figures a life like appearance.
Authority in its many forms fascinate me and in my work I want to reverse the common beliefs by making the weak powerful.

Source is Nancy Margolis Gallery. Link here to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment