Translate

Monday, May 30, 2011

Talia Greene, Artist


Artist Statement: "I am fascinated by our struggle to impose order on our bodies and an unruly world. In my recent work, I have been exploring this topic through the vehicle of hair, both as a material to design with and as a subject. I often appropriate Victorian imagery to draw parallels between today and a time when the fascination, repulsion, and urge to control nature were overtly demonstrated in much of the culture.
In my series, Entropic Variations, I reference the futility of our attempts to control nature, with a playful exaggeration of the quotidian frustration of taming our hair. The series consists of thirteen sequences based on individual portraits, in which the hair takes on a life of its own in the form of a swarm of flies. The swarms grow; run wild; start to conform; then run wild once more. With each new hairstyle, the sitter takes on a new identity. Even as we try to impose our will on nature, nature imposes its anarchy on us." Find Greene's work at the Drawing Center. Link here. Or her website. Link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment