Translate

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Hannah Kasprzak, Student Work




Christmas Morning
Wood, silver paint, metal hinge
3.5 inches width








Reflection Statement
This sculpture is a reflection of the time spent with my family on Christmas morning. For every Christmas that I can remember, my twin sister and I received stockings filled to the brim with various assortments of nuts. Macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, chestnuts, and more would be dumped out on the carpet in the living room before being sorted into neat piles. The shape of the sculpture is smooth and semi-round, depicting the happiness and contentment I associate with the memory. The shape resembles a walnut and can open via a hinge on the back. There is a band of metallic silver encompassing the middle of the wooden sculpture and on the inside where the two sides meet. I wanted to visually communicate where the metal nutcracker would touch the walnut to split it open. Inside, the texture is rough, addressing the frustration that came with not being able to open the nuts half of the time. There are 18 small wooden balls inside, the number being representative of the 18 Christmas' I’ve had with my family. 



In Process


 

No comments:

Post a Comment