Translate

Friday, September 11, 2020

Allison Davis, Student Work






Reclaimed
Cedarwood, Magnets, Fabric
6.75" x 2.5" x 1.25

This piece reflects the memory I have of falling in love while sailing. The sturdiness of wood contrasts with the softness of the fabric in the center. The fabric is unattached and is not necessarily a permanent part of the wood. This contrast in texture and permanence reflects the difference in the characteristics of me and the man in my memory. Despite the vastly different materials, they feel similar to the touch. The fabric is soft and the wood was sanded to be smooth and as soft as I could make it. Finally, the magnets not only hold the two pieces together but, as cliche as it is, represent the magnetic attraction I felt to the sailor.



In Process



Research

Lenga Clayton was one of the artists I used in my research packet and mood board.


Mum - Oh How the Boat Drifts

This song reminded me of my memory and the emotions I felt processing through the memory in order to create this piece.



Stagnant Waters

A poem I wrote shortly after the memory took place as a way to work through my emotions. It was present in my thoughts throughout the development of this piece. The poem is personal and I have chosen not to share on a digital platform. However, the words I wrote deeply influenced my project and should be included as a source of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment