Translate

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Drawing Machines

Selfie, Aaron Kramer




urban-objects.com





I wanted to make a drawing machine for years. I chose this time to attempt one because I have a show at a gallery in Los Angeles on November 14, 2015 and I wanted to include this in it. There was a long run up to creating this piece. First I had to develop a drawing that could be done in a continuous line in approximately 20 seconds. I then took that drawing and used it to plot points on a master disk of plywood. Those points were transferred to two individual cams. One controls the up down and the other the left right. Then I made cam followers that read this information and dictated it back to a pen through a parallelogram. In order to have the cams turn at a slow pace I then cut gears to allow me to turn a crank and power the machine. After the machine generates the drawing I then use this as the basis for a painting. See more at urban-objects.com Aaron Kramer





Harmonograph, Wayne Schmidt




Harmonograph is a mechanical apparatus that employs a pendulums to create a geometric image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment