Translate

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Cassie Fernandez, Student Work, Memento Assignment



I used wood, rubber bands, and sand paper to create a sling shot. These three materials are  significant to the piece. 

Wood
The wood represents nature and football. When I was younger I spent a lot of time playing outside in the woods with my brother and his friends. When I was seven my dad allowed me to flag football with the boys, in the same league that my brother played. After two years of playing, my dad wanted me to find a new sport because he didn't want his little girl getting hurt playing tackle football. The wood I chose for the piece resembles the features of a football goal post.

Sand Paper
The sand paper texture symbolizes how tough I was as a little kid. To continue with my memories of football, I shaped the sandpaper to resemble a football. 

Rubber Bands
The rubbers bands represent how wear my hair up in a ponytail. Because I play sports, I keep my hair tied back so it is not in my face. 

As for the sling shot, I feel this item represents youth, mischief and the male gender. I was not your ordinary girl who played with Barbie dolls; I always wanted to play with Hot Wheels. I grew up with an older brother (4.5 years older than me) and older sister (2.5 years older than me). I mostly got hand-me-downs from my brother, hardly ever from my sister. My big brother had a huge impact on me. I could continue the list of memories from growing up as a tomboy, but it would be endless. In the end, I was always eager to follow my brother’s lead.   

No comments:

Post a Comment