Translate

Friday, December 13, 2013

Melissa Zeise, Student Work, Gregor's Room






Father and Son
White copy paper, ink, pen/pencil
Largest sculpture measures 8" x 5" x 6"



Statement:
The most interesting part of this story to me is the relationship between father and son. To me, I saw the father as having a hold on Gregor, which led me to create the bed as a symbol of the father- the head board representing the fingers of the father coming down and holding onto Gregor, trapping him in his bed. I felt that Gregor's transformation into a dung beetle was brought on by his father's business failure and his constant disappointment in Gregor. I also thought that Gregor's military background was an important element of the story because it made Gregor's life as a traveling salesman all the more discouraging and disappointing. As a lieutenant in the military, I can only imagine how humiliating it must have been for Gregor to come home from the war only to work in such a demanding and belittling job as a salesman. I included his military hat in a box representing Gregor's past, along with sales documents and cigarettes. Also to tie in the relationship between father and son, I added Gregor's dad's shiny, gold buttons to Gregor's wings to leave the mark of the father on Gregor's transformed state. The buttons also make Gregor seem somewhat human like- I purposely formed his wings like coat tails and included the buttons to show that he was still a human in a bug's body. I think Kafka's bizarre story is a tremendous insight on family relationships, personal pride, and the truth that we become what we perceive ourselves to be.  





In process pic. 
No tape or glue allowed for this assignment.  
The "bed frame" made by a process of dipping white copy paper in coffee/tea, 
stacking and wrapping the saturated paper and then baking in the oven. 




Here is the "bed frame" after it has been baked.  
In addition to the coffee/tea stain, Winsor Newton ink has been applied to certain areas. 
Measures approx. 10" x 5" x 4"


No comments:

Post a Comment