Translate

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Patricia Piccini, Artist

How does Piccini's work demonstrate hybrid form?




Link here to see more of Piccini's work on her website.

A sample of Piccini's artist statement:
"In 1996 I was drawing in medical museums, meticulous pencil renderings of old specimens, pathologies and aberrations. My interest was in the way that the discipline and technology of medicine constructs our ideas of the normal and the natural. I was fascinated by these ideas and happy with the work but I was concerned that the particular representational technology that I was employing to discuss these issues was somehow anachronistic. Increasingly, the ideas I was dealing with revolved around genetic mapping and manipulation, body imaging technologies and media culture. If the aim of my work was to look at the increasing impact of medical and media technologies on the body, then I wanted the work to engage with contemporary technologies on a formal level...Currently, my deep interest is in the status of 'the natural', which to me is a political question, grounded in lived experience. I am interested in how our understanding of the natural has shifted. I am interested in what is natural now; w what might constitute the nature (as in natural habitat) of the contemporary, movie watching, in-vitro fertilised mall-rat. As such I am interested in an expanded, hybrid nature rather than the purist 'return to Eden' concept that is usually opposed to the artificial." Full artist statement on website. Link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment